*Revival of the Arts - Freedom of speech, artistic expression
The National Chiao Tung University Arts Center includes a Theater and an Arts Exhibition Gallery. The theater/auditorium has the capacity to organize and invite local and internationally renown artists for performances. A gallery space displays long-term exhibitions. The Arts Center provides a medium for arts expression and performances in Hsinchu and allows students to be a part of that experience.
- Location: No.75, Zhongshan Rd., North Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5712121 ext.#52666
- Opening Hours: B1 Hao-Ran Library Monday to Friday: 10:00-19:00 / Saturday and Sunday: 10:00-17:00
- Suggested attractions nearby: National Chiao Tung University, National Tsing Hua University, Hsinchu Science Park
National Chiao Tung University Arts Center
National Tsing Hua University Nan-Da Campus Art Institute regards cohesion as a concept. Through the Department of Fine Arts students develop a variety of painting and painting media, as well as visual art design. This effect can be seen in the artistic development of teachers and artists in Hsinchu City. The school has always been the birthplace of high-energy, modern-style art in Hsinchu.
- Location: No.521, Nanda Rd., East Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5213132 ext.#2901
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 09:00-17:00
- Suggested attractions nearby: Green Grass (Ching-Tsao) Lake, Chu-Lian Market, Filial Lee Hsi-Cin Stone Arch
National Hsinchu University of Education Art Space (NHCUE Art Space)
Free Bus: 72, 73
Tsing Hua University Arts Center hosts annual art exhibitions with the focus on promoting Taiwanese trained artists and their works. The exhibit invites and encourages budding artists to participate. It is the main exhibition gallery for Hsinchu City area. Years of exhibits have to helped to contribute to the growth of culture and humanism that rounds out tech-savvy Hsinchu City.
- Location: No.101, Sec. 2, Guangfu Rd., East Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5162222
- Opening Hours: Monday to Friday 10:00-19:00 / Saturday and Sunday 12:00-17:00
- Suggested attractions nearby: National Chiao Tung University, Tsing Hua Night Market, World Expo Taiwan Pavilion
National Tsing Hua University Arts Center
Bus: 1, 2
Located in Hsinchu Park, the museum was originally built in 1936 as the “Japanese Autonomous Club House.” It was converted into the Glass Museum of Hsinchu City in 1999. Hsinchu glass products are exhibited here, and the International Glass Art Festival Exhibition is held here once every two years.
- Location: No.2, Sec. 1, Dongda Road, East Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5626091
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday 09:00-17:00.
- Suggested attractions nearby: Hsinchu Park, Hsinchu Zoo, Hsinchu ConfuciusTemple
Glass Museum of Hsinchu City
Bus: 1, 2, 31 Free Bus: 57, 72, 73
Originally built by the TRA in 1941 as a station warehouse (No. 3-5), it is a perfect adaptation of Japanese style. The Art Village has performance halls, an open Artist Residency, and exhibitions or events, which functions as a communication platform for appreciating the arts.
- Location: No.64, Huayuan St., East Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5628933
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday 09:00-18:00
- Suggested attractions nearby: Hsinchu Railway Station, Glass Museum of Hsinchu City, Hsinchu Zoo
Hsinchu City Art Site of Railway Warehouse
Bus: 1, 2, 31
Built after 1921, the main building is designed during the Japanese colonial period to serve as an association hall. Columns that frame the building on both sides are exquisite. The original corridor that leads to a cloister arch on the east side of the building is well preserved and blends both Taiwanese and Western architectural design practices. As many of the Assocation Hall’s aesthetics use techniques classic to various arts, it will provide long-term education on aesthetics and is of great historical significance.
- Location: No.110, Wuchang Street, East Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5263176
- Opening Hours: 09:00-17:00
- Suggested attractions nearby: Nanmen Market, Kuan Di Temple, Jhongyang Shopping Center
National Hsinchu Living Arts Center
Walk from city center
Everyday supplies, and cultural relics are exhibited here as a window into the everyday life of the former military dependents. The main entrance door is painted red with white stripes just as it was in the homes before. Just outside the museum are Air Force military aircraft fuel tanks and water towers are preserved. Inside the displays include the history of military dependents, life situations, and culture. Take a trip to the museum to learn about or be re-acquainted with military community life and culture.
- Location: No.105, Sec. 2, Dongda Rd., North Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5319756 ext.#281
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday 09:00-17:00.
Closed Mondays, on National Holidays and Election Day
- Suggested attractions nearby: Bureau of Cultural Affairs Hsinchu City, Beimen Street, Black Bat Squadron Memorial Hall
Hsinchu City Military Dependents' Villages Museum
Bus: 12 Free Bus: 55
Originally a traditional glass factory, it was redesigned by the local government to provide tourist’s with glass-making experience. By making an appointment to visit here, visitors can participate in glass making under the leadership of master craftsmen in a high temperature furnace. Also watch the master work at the production of blown glass, and enjoy the charm of Hsinchu glass.
- Location: No.372 Niupu South Rd., Xiangshan Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5389187
- Opening Hours: By appointment only. (Last tour at 15:00) Monday to Sunday 08:00-17:00
- Suggested attractions nearby: Xiangshan Pastureland, Xiangshan Railway Station, 19 Hectares Grassland
SEG Spring Pool Electric Handmade Glass Factory
Free Bus: 51
The Black Bat Squadron was a CIA-based workstation in 1952. The cooperation of "Western companies” resulted in the establishment of the Air Force’s Special Operations Forces. The troops moved to the Hsinchu base in 1953, and were called the “Black Bat Squadron” 1958. The museum reproduces the story describing the missions and history of the time and the martyrdom of the heroes, and exhibits other Black Bat Squadron physical artifacts.
- Location: No.16, Sec. 2, Dongda Rd., North Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5425061
- Opening Hours: Tuesday to Sunday 09:00-17:00
- Suggested attractions nearby: Hsinchu Performing Arts Center, Bureau of Cultural Affairs Hsinchu City, Hsinchu City Military Dependents’ Villages Museum
Black Bat Squadron Memorial Hall
Bus: 1, 2, 31 Free Bus: 55
Guxian Neighborhood is located right next to the Hsinchu Air Force Base. It is common to hear the roar of fighter aircraft taking off or landing, and so it is quite logical to establish a model aircraft museum right here. Aircraft models on display are to scale. And the Hsinchu Air Force Base runway can also be viewed from the third floor of the building, the exclusive experience to enjoy in Taiwan!
- Location: No.15, Ln. 110, Sec. 3, Dongda Rd., North Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5424102
- Opening Hours: 08:00-12:00; 13:00-17:00
- Suggested attractions nearby: Hsinchu City Military Dependents’ Villages Museum, Black Bat Squadron Memorial Hall, Hsinchu Fishing Port
Guxian Airplane Model Exhibition Hall
Bus: 15 Free Bus: 55
Kangle Community used to be called Kanglang Village where during the Japanese colonial period it was a stop on the lightrail. The residents have donated personal relics and daily utensils that can be found in the museum to reproduce the scenes of the times. The Kangle Heritage Museum still keeps the original train cars even though the railway has long been removed. Kangle Community has rebuilt a section of the railway to commemorate the past.
- Location: No.31, Ln. 335, Sec. 3, Dongda Rd., North Dist., Hsinchu City
- Tel: 03-5363103 / 03-5366688 / 0920-111593
- Tour Booking Hotline: 09:00-17:00
- Suggested attractions nearby: Guxian Airplane Model Exhibition Hall, Hsinchu City Military Dependents’ Villages Museum, Hsinchu Fishing Port
Hsinchu Kanglangzhuang Countryside Museum and Pushcart Train
Bus: 15 Free Bus: 55